May 05, 2012

Back to my roots, Surigao!

After my sister's graduation last year, our family decided to go back to Bislig City, Surigao del Sur, my hometown ( actually me and my siblings' ). It had been raining a lot that week, and let me tell you that place sure rains a lot, at least it was when I was over there. We have been anticipating to go to the beach, but the weather isn't cooperating at all. We then decided that before we go back to Cagayan de Oro, rain or shine, we must go to the beach!

It was cloudy that day when we went that day in Lawigan, good thing it wasn't pouring. We weren't expecting it would be a bumpy ride going there, the roads are not all the way paved yet, it took us around 30-45 minutes to get there ( don't quote me on that I have a bad memory, lol ), it was fun looking around the countryside though. When we got there I was horrified because the waves are huge, maybe not that huge ( but it looked huge to me ), and the sea water sure splashed at the cottages strong enough to make you soaking wet. I was sad because I don't know how to swim and with that water level and current, there is no way I could make it out alive. My uncle then consoled me that it will soon recede.


'Twas probably around 7 foot wooden seawall and the water is the same level was the wall when we got there, you won't see the shore at all. But just like what my uncle said the water receded minutes after we got there.


As soon as the water level was swim friendly we all took a dip like mad. It was refreshingly clean, you can see garbage here and there but it's not because the place is dirty, but the waves took it there. You would be able to see star fishes, sea urchins, sea weeds in there, and a whole lot more actually.


I also saw an abandoned port in that same area, and I thought to myself, this would be a great venus for a beach wedding.


After that short trip in the port, we then decide to go to a rock formation that looked like a ship, I have to say it looked like one and it was awesome.





It was probably a kilometer walk but was well worth it. We also seen mangroves and people looking for balat ( sea cucumber ) along the way.


On our way back I noticed that the water receded pretty far from the shore, you probably would have to walk at least 500 meters to be able to swim ( and the water level probably is up to your waist ).


It was exhuasting but we had a blast! If you haven't visited Surigao del Sur I suggest you do so, we all had a wonderful experience out there!



xoxo,

uzziel

15 comments: